Monday, October 7, 2013

3 for 2 offer - Weird

I really don't understand the promotion Landmark has on books, it says "3 copies for 2", which means one copy is free, but as an individual what do I do with those other 2 ditto copies? gift to my friends/relatives? find 2 friends/relatives who has similar interest as mine and are willing to split the cost? (difficult thing to do takes extra effort) go with full price and just take one copy but then I don't get any discount/promotion on the book (which doesn't make me feel good). If I do go with the offer and don't find anyone who wants to buy from me, I end up paying double the cost compared to regular price of a book (so I am not going to take that risk). Other options is calling up people I know and pre-booking them to take a copy from me before I actually buy, in which case each one gets 33% discount (what are the chances of that happening, very slim). 

This whole scheme seems to work only for people who can find two more buyers or has a need to gift books, and I believe that would constitute only 5 to 10% of buyers, which means 90 to 95% of the buyers will not be interested in this offer, which makes the whole promotion irrational, now there is this angle of Landmark having over-stocked on few books and hence this offer is specific for those books, but this can be fixed at once by enhancing the procurement process, why would someone repeat this mistake and try these weird promotions (I have seen this type of promotion at landmark for last 2 years at least).

3 for 2, may works well for say apparel industry, wherein I can buy 3 shirts, same brand and same quality, but different designs, but making this work for books (ditto copies), doesn't make sense to me, instead a straight 10% discount would work better, and probably help compete with flipkarts of the world.

Your comments please...... let me know if I am missing something here completely.

3 comments:

  1. Vinod, the offer is you can select any 3 books from top 200 items and pay for only 2 items. It is not like, you will get the copy of the same book.

    https://www.facebook.com/notes/landmarkonthenet/new-titles-added-to-our-fabulous-3-for-2-offer/10150297475448606

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Vinod, Ennam is right. Among the three books, the least priced is free. I've bought several books in this offer scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there goes all my analysis for a toss :)

    ReplyDelete